Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What's in Your Stash?


My HDT stash.

Please forgive this quick post, I have a couple of burning questions for HDT lovers:

Are you a HDT hoarder? A user?
How much HDT is in your stash?

Lately I have been feeling guilty reflective [They would take away my Unrepentant Thread Junkie membership card if I lapsed into feelings of contrition.] over recent HDT purchases. And my desire barely rational need to purchase more is getting stronger.

Don't get the wrong idea. I don't regret a single (or multiple) skein purchase. But I know I won't be able to use all this gorgeous thread in the pre-holiday hustle, either to make gifts or to shorten my "must tat" list.

Let's face it, I currently possess enough threads (not just HDTs, but total thread stash) to last multiple lifetimes. Yet I still must have more hand-dyed thread.

As radical and absurd as it may seem, HDTs don't always bring out the best in a pattern or design. Sometimes it is better to pair a variegated thread with a solid. And yes, there are times when only a solid color will showcase a design to its best advantage. But I'm no expert in making those weighty decisions. Still very much a novice!

Back to the pretty colors. LOL!

Looking over the photo, I see a shortage of rusty red or blue-blended colorways. (Excepting Tatskool's awesome indigo and blue skeins, of course.) There is also room for something deliciously creamy (maybe some Vanilla Sky?). Maybe some Helm's Deep...

See how easily I enable myself?

Could you help me assuage this wicked HDT craving?

Show me your HDT stash. Don't hold back. It will help me put mine into perspective.

16 comments:

Krystle said...

Lol, I'm a user. I wind all my skeins onto floss cards...I'll post a pic tomorrow.

IsDihara said...

Thanks for commenting, Krystle! You can see that so far I have only sampled four of my skein purchases. I have plans for them all, however!

BTW, I LOVE that colorway of yours that Lace Lovin' Librarian - Diane is using to make her latest spinning wheel mat. Be-yooo'-ti-ful!

Valerie said...

Umm, I only have one skein of Marina which I bought from Ladyshuttlemaker couldn't bear to use it yet. Taking it out from its hiding place every now and then and admiring it, and returning it... Must say I envy your collection ;P

Jane Eborall said...

Can't show you my HDT stash as I don't possess any!!!! I have a few variegated threads but rarely use them. I'm boring!!!

*♥* Heather *♥* said...

I am a hoarder and a user and just a plain addict, I posted my pile of thread I think I have a little more than you :P LOL
Heather

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I'm ashamed/proud to state that my HDT stash is MUCH bigger. I just can't resist the stuff! I guess I am a hoarder, but it's because I can't decide which pattern to use. Mary Konior's Spinning Wheel glass mat is perfect for using a skein of HDT, with enough left over to make a bookmark, snowflake, or other small piece, which is probably why I've made so many of them. I'll try to take a pic later today.

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

Wow, the colors of HDT you own are beautiful. I have some HDT, and I only use it on special pieces. I don't want to use the colors all up. Silly isn't it. I should use what I have, but I too feel the need to buy more....

IsDihara said...

Val, you have shown amazing restraint when faced with new hand-dyed threads.

Jane, you certainly are helping to put my stash into perspective. LOL!

But that does not make you OR Val boring!

Heather, what a neatly organized stash! Yes, yours is a bit bigger than mine. It helps put things into perspective too!

Diane, I can't wait to see your stash. Hoping you get a chance to photograph it.

Carol, I feel the same about using HDT. The 25 motif challenge provides incentive to use stash.

Gina said...

Oh, I didn't see it was just about HDT stash. I have very little. Only one or two skeins at the most from each supplier. I can't afford them, sorry - and the amount is too little to suit me so I pass them by most of the time. They ARE gorgeous and the few I've bought are an indulgence for me.

See...I started tatting partly because it was so CHEAP. ROTFL!

Katie said...

Oh, as if purchasing HDT isn't enough to feed my addiction, I've started dyeing my own! LOL! I blogged about HDT this a.m. I don't think I could own too much! Heck, I'm content to just sit & stare at it, so I don't worry too much about using it all up. How could I ever? I mean, there's always a new colorway being offered by one of the masters of HDT. LOL! I know, I'm shameless.

Cindy said...

I'm in big trouble here. I don't have any HDT (yet), but I keep drooling over all that I see and am having a hard time not jumping right in to order some! I think I will be a hoarder - lordy, there are some beautiful colors out there. Seriously envying your stash :)

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

Ha ha! Welcome to the club! Some of us are so obsessed we became dealers to keep our addiction afloat. I think the best think about HDT is that looking at them inpires one to tat...(well at least that is the case with me).

sewmuchfun4 said...

I am HDT-less too! I want to try some VERY MUCH but don't feel like I am competent enough yet. I LOVE the colors though!

:) Ann

Umintsuru said...

I have to admit I am more or a hoader. I buy every HDT that catches my eye from Sherry, Marilee and Tatskool. I have threads to last me a lifetime. It is my weakness.

Marty said...

I've got a stash of HDT -- I should use it to make some of Iris Niebach's doilies!
I answered your question about her book on my blog, but thought it would be better to answer on yours! so...
You can still get her "Tatted Doilies" from Lacis (www.lacis.com). Use this address:
http://www.lacis.com/catalog/data/CB_Tatting.html
then tell your browser to search for _Neubach_ on the page. They've spelled the name wrong so a search through their search facility won't find it using Niebach. It is there, though -- I'm looking at it right now!

TAT19540 said...

I"m addicted to hdt too!lol. I don't have enough room on the scanner or camera for all I have. And have no plans to slow down on the collecting.(It's on my Christmas list!) I'll try to get my stash on my blog.