Friday, October 21, 2011

Motif 6 - Rosone



I have completed the rosone (Italian for rosette) from Il Lavoro Chiacchierino 14, page 8. The thread is YarnPlayer's Celery in size 20. It will count as Motif 6 in my second 25 Motif Challenge.

This is a very sturdy six-sided medallion. I really like it in Celery and think it would be even lovelier tatted in Yarnplayer's Roses HDT. That said, it also begs to be tatted as a proper snowflake.

As I tatted away, the stitch counts seemed odd. And I kept wondering two things: why are the inner rings double joined? (Aside from adding strength, I mean.) Is it an attempt to form hexagons?

A honeycomb center would certainly be pretty. Then the motif could be called "Honey and Clover." What could be done to make the inner rings look more hexagonal?

It is an interesting avenue for exploration, once I have completed my Tat Days class projects. But as is, this motif is quite inviting.

8 comments:

Sharren - Tatting in Greenwood, South Carolina said...

Beautiful! I do love it in "celery," and wondered how it would look in "Spring Garden!"

When you tat it in white, are you thinking of adding beads?

IsDihara said...

Sharren, I WILL be adding beads when I tat it again. I will be using Lizbeth ® Blue Ice.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

Very pretty! I can picture it in a variety of HDTs!

Sharren - Tatting in Greenwood, South Carolina said...

Can't WAIT to see it in Blue Ice!!!

Fox said...

Beautiful! Love the Celery and yes, it would also be fantastic in Yarnplayer' Roses!
Fox : )

Suztats said...

I love it in 'celery', but I can picture it with crystals in white.

tattrldy said...

It looks good in 'Celery' but think it would be fabulous in 'Blue Ice' - I just got a ball of it in the mail yesterday ;)
I'm curious to see if make a honeycomb center. I think it would look pretty cool that way.

God's Kid said...

Great design! Great tatting! :)