Saturday, October 29, 2011

Up for a Tea Shop Mystery?


Have you read any of the Tea Shop Mysteries by Laura Childs?

I only just discovered them a week or so ago when a copy of Scones & Bones was on display in the "Fortunate Find" section of my local library.

I grabbed it, thinking it would be a casual bit of fluff reading. Probably not something that would hold my interest. Was I wrong!

It is a lighthearted read, yet held my attention even though I usually guess the murderer early on in typical murder mysteries.

The story is set in Charleston, SC, and revolves around resident Indigo Tea Shop owner, Theodosia Browning. I won't say much more, except that this is the 12th installment of the series. Here are two reviews if you want to know more:

The scene of the 5th Tea Shop Mystery, Jasmine Moon Murder is set under an autumn moon, making it a fun read for this time of year.

Indigo Tea Shop owner Theodosia Browning is catering a Charleston benefit, a "Ghost Crawl" through Jasmine Cemetery, when the organizer drops dead—and it looks like foul play. Theodosia stirs things up with her own investigation, and gets into hot water up to her neck.
Renee over at Renee's Reads has a fun rating system for her book reviews and I love that she sets aside time on Thursday for Tea, much like I do for Tatting Tea Tuesday.


As I am on on chapter 5 I will have to give you my rating in a few days. In the meantime, why not try a Tea Shop Mystery and let us know what you think?

7 comments:

Josie Passell said...

Thank you for the book info, I like to read a variety of books and our book club book this month ( about the Irish famine ) is not a light read!!!!

Fox said...

Big reader here.... doesn't look like my cuppa either, but if you say so, I will give it a go! Over I go to my library to post a hold...

Fox : ))

Karrieann said...

I LOVE LOVE ...did I say love? OH! I LOVE LOVE Laura Childs' books!!! I have two of her "Tea" mysteries... forgot the titles, I'll look later! I even made some recipes from them.. yummmmmm!!!

I'll have to find a copy of Scones and Bones!

Margaret said...

I think that I have the whole series and the scrap booking one as well.Unhappily they are not available as e-books. I have run out of shelf space.

Josie Passell said...

The postman has just delivered Chamomile Mourning, a cheap win on ebay, as they are not so easy to find in the U.K.
happy tatting and reading
Josie

Gina said...

Just the kind I like to read lately! Enough to engage me but not so deep that I rack my brain to pick up the train of thought if I can't get back to it for a few days...or weeks... I'm finishing something up right now but will keep it in mind during my next libary trip!

tattrldy said...

I've seen a couple of those titles but haven't read any yet. They looked interesting, but I haven't had much time for reading lately so didn't pick them up. I definitely will have to check them out when I get the chance. Thanks for notice about these.