Sunday, August 15, 2010

Third Place Showing

~ Tea Time Tatting ~
My County Fair Entry


It's not easy posting my fair results -- a hope-dashing third place showing.

The photo has the misfortune of being taken through two panes of glass.

(Instead of being displayed with the other entries, mine was moved to a ground-level shelf in a cabinet 50-feet away. To give the organizers the benefit of the doubt, it could have been moved to safeguard the fragile-looking china.)

In spite of the unfortunate placement, I agree with the judge's ruling. Take a look at the first and second place ribbon-winners.

Sw4nkyL4c3r's Rose Baby
Bonnet with matching Booties
 

Second Place Beaded Purse
 

My entry looked a bit small and plain by comparison. And let's face facts, it could have been disqualified. So I should be relieved to receive a ribbon at all. Right?

Pardon the whining but I'm still disappointed to have come in third. There were only three entries.

I know it's unbecoming to wallow. Much better to be grateful for the wealth of experience and new-found community that I have gained.

(My twin told me that. Thanks, sis!)

I AM thrilled and delighted to call Sw4nkyL4c3r a friend. And I hope to meet the second-place ribbon-winner too.

Meeting my goal of entering tatting into the county fair competition and demonstrating at the fair are both big accomplishments. Plus, my entry "grew" the category. The judging was fair, even generous (considering the "one entry per category" rule). And there is always next year.

More on ceramic painting
For anyone who still may be scratching his or her head about the "ceramic painting" comments from my last post, here are two photos from that category of the competition.




The teacup did an admirable job of trying to qualify as ceramic painting, didn't it? Can't really blame the volunteers who jumped to that conclusion.

Ah well, live and learn.

9 comments:

Fox said...

Congratulations, Isdihara! I think the presentation of your entry is wonderful!

I am envious that you had the courage to enter your tatting at all. So, there you go. Third place is .... Kudos - what can I say! Next time you will get a first!

(I'd be miffed as well, if truth were told! Shhhh!!)

Fox : )

Cindy said...

Congratulations on your fair ribbon! I'm glad your entry was accepted where it belonged and not disqualified. You certainly had some competition. Were all 3 items in one "tatting" category?

Isn't it inspiring? My goal is to enter more next year - and "grow" the category :) It'll be a few years before I can accomplish a baby bonnet and booties to rival your competition, though!

Typstatting said...

Congrat's on being Third place to me that is an achievement. Well done!!!!

IsDihara said...

Thank you all so much for your kind and supportive comments.

It's so unflattering to whine over a white ribbon. I honestly shouldn't complain at all. (Hey, I could have not placed or been disqualified.)

Onward and (cross your fingers) upward!

Miranda said...

Hey, everybody can't be first. You should be proud to have had the courage to enter at all. Now you have a better idea of what the judges are looking for. You're also lucky to live in a county where there are three tatters!

Jeff Hamilton said...

Congratulations, Isdihara! I agree with Fox about actually entering. We don't have county fairs here in Canada (we don't have counties) but we do have many exhibitions. I would love to enter, but I usually wait too long, and then get confused when looking at the entry forms. Congrats again. And you're right, there is always next year.

By the way, your entry is very pretty.

Eliz Davis aka Tatknot said...

It's easy to say it isn't about the prize, but who doesn't enjoy winning? I really admire your willingness to admit your feelings, even as you praise your competition. Proud of you.

Karen T said...

I understand your pain. The few times I was brave enough to enter our state fair, I didn't do well. Our fair has a policy of only awarding "deserved" ribbons, so even if you're the only entrant, you might not place at all. Your third place ribbon is definitely an accomplishment and the experience may help you in future years to know what to expect.

Tatskool said...

Sounds like a pretty good start to your fair career, If you had come first you would have had nothing to beat in future years!