Sunday, November 6, 2011

Edging Closer to Motif 9

The other day I read a comment sewmuchfun4 made in 2010 about "feeling less than tranquil" with tatting. It brought a knowing smile to my lips. Haven't we all felt like this at one time or another?

Sometimes putting your tools down and taking your mind off the setback will allow your creative muse to recharge. That is precisely what happened when I was playing around with Crazy Mom's Hearts Afire Cross.

I knew I wanted to expand the cross into a heart. Designing my own heart edging was a decidedly "less than tranquil" experience. And research into heart edgings available online left me stumped.

But the pattern book "Tatted Bookmarks - Needle & Shuttle" (edited by Barbara Foster of Handy Hands, Inc.) stoked my muse. On page 8 was an edging by Dee Powell, simply called "Hearts."

Cindy from A Happy Bluebird tatted "Hearts" in February, 2010. Her pretty Valentine Bookmark proved perfect for satisfying my crafty muse.


See how pretty this edging looks adapted into a heart? It takes a curve so beautifully.

Delores "Dee" Powell, 75, of Kansas, died in 2008 of cancer. Barbara Foster (Handy Hands, Inc.) has given permission to Georgia Seitz to post one of Dee' s patterns from the book "Tatted Bookmarks - Needle & Shuttle" online.  Georgia will create an "In Memory Of" page for Dee.

Almost Motif 9 - Cross Your Heart
This heart-in-progress is adapted from Hearts Afire Cross © 2011 by Crazy Mom and Hearts © 2001 by Dee Powell. It is tatted in Lizbeth® 20 Victorian Red #670 and will measure 4 inches by 4 inches (10.2 cm by 10.2 cm) when complete.

What a tatting journey this experiment has led me on so far! Crazy Mom's cross fueled the fire for a heart. Taking a "less than tranquil" design path led to an existing source for a lovely edging. From there the creative spark ignited again to combine two lovely designs into a dainty new heart.

Or it will be once I finish...

8 comments:

Ladytats said...

the combination looks very good. congrats on your muse putting them together. it looks great.

Suztats said...

A wonderful combination!

Crazy Mom! said...

You did a lovely job! I would not have thought to use the cross as a center for a heart. I think it's inspired!

Margaret said...

Lovely heart

Margarets designer cards said...

Beautiful heart and lovely patterns.
Margaret

Carla said...

wow... wonderful!!!

God's Kid said...

Oh I love what you have done! That is beautiful!!! :)

Aggie said...

Hello,
I read your blog, watch all the things you've made and WOW! All the things are so beautiful! I love your work!
Best regards, Aggie.

This is my site if you want to watch my work:
www.szydelkoagusi.blogspot.com