Friday, March 11, 2011

Civil War Tatting

On Saturday I will be giving a short talk on tatting at a stitcher's guild meeting, and hope to mention how tatting fits into the Civil War timeframe.

I am not well-versed in Civil War historical research. Luckily I don't need to be. Virginia Mescher has published a great article on Civil War tatting that Kersti kindly posted with permission over at InTatters forum.

Follow this link to read all about it: Civil War Tatting

Or read it via the Online Tatting Class: Civil War Tatting

Historian Lorene Payne of the Southern Fauquier Historical Society is coming to speak at the Piedmont Lace Guild's April meeting. She will give a presentation on Ladies Wear of the Americas in full 19th century garb!

The program is open to guild members and guests.
E-mail info@piedmontlace.org to join me as my guest.

4 comments:

tattrldy said...

This sounds like fun! I wish I was close enough to come with you. Take lots of pictures if you can so you can share with us.

I hope things go well with your presentation on Saturday. Do you have a video camera? You could tape it and post it on here so we could all watch and hear your presentation. I'll bet it will be great!

Cindy said...

I love reading and learning about the Civil War time period - it would be interesting to find out more about tatting during that time. Good Luck with your presentation!

Kathy Niklewicz said...

With the Sesquicentennial of the Civil War beginning this year, I'm sure there will be another resurgence of interest in Victorian customs, clothing, and home decorations. And, of course, tatting fits right in!

I'm sure you'll have a great presentation! The program about Ladies Wear of the 19th Century sounds so interesting!

I printed out Virginia's article many years ago, and enjoy referring to it now and then.

Donna said...

You all were so generous to come to our guild meeting today and share your knowledge and beautiful works with us! Maybe we'll meet up again someday. Like you, I used to tat in college. Only difference is I stopped about 30 years ago and focused on the needlework instead. :-)