Thursday, November 17, 2011

Shawl Shenanigans

Favecrafts.com recently mass e-mailed an advertisement with an intriguing hook (no pun intended): The Goddess Shawl makes you as beautiful as Aphrodite!

Ever the skeptic, I call shenanigans!

If nubile beauty and infinite desirability were as easy to achieve as tossing on a shawl, wouldn't we all have it? And never take it off?

I admit the crocheted shawl in the ad has a definite charm and appeal. Is it the shawl's gorgeous drape? The mysterious allure of the model?

After fantasizing about it, (Didn't you?) I concede the possibility of tossing on a shawl, if it were tatted, to attain epic beauty and allure. I mean, why not? It worked for Kathy Berndt.



Kathy really does look beautiful in her lace, doesn't she?

Libido-lifting Lace?
Advertising claims aside, the Goddess Shawl posits some food for thought.

Why pineapples?!? Did Aphrodite like pineapples? I like pineapple as much as the next person, but it never seemed like a nubile fruit to me.

Well, whaddya know? The aphrodisiac history of pineapple.

Now I Really Want One
Is it possible to tat a Goddess Shawl?

Tatting the pineapples should work, since tatted pineapple doilies exist. But methinks the rest would require some re-engineering.

What say you, Tat Land?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I say, give it a go... keep us updated on the progress and then we'll tell you what we think?!

Miranda said...

I like the swirliness of the crocheted design. I would think Mary Konior's Windmills would have a similar effect.

Jeff Hamilton said...

I must be missing something. The first shawl IS Mary Konior's Windmills. Beautifully done, I might add. Any motif that is hexagonal should work. Or squares with triangle fill in shapes.

The scarf in the second photo is also made using one of Mary's motifs.

Jeff Hamilton said...

OK. After rereading the post, if you want to recreate the crocheted pattern, it still could be done. I see block tatting being used, along with the pineapples. Actually, I have seen charts available for converting crochet patterns into tatting; I wonder if that could work?

IsDihara said...

Jeff, you are correct that the first photo shows Kathy Berndt modeling her lavender shawl (made up of many Mary Konior Windmill motifs). You have a very sharp eye!

Perhaps it was the power of suggestion or perhaps it was simply a good idea (great design is nothing if not versatile) for Miranda to suggest Mary Konior's Windmills. Either way, I cannot argue with the choice.

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I'll probably never make it to the tatting-a-shawl level, but it sure is nice to dream about it!

John said...

This shawl was stunning!! I was standing just outside the picture admiring the work. What patience!!
j

Barbara Gordon said...

I would love to tat one...it looks so nice! I'll keep that in my thoughts, that's for sure....Your's looks beautiful!!!

Shattered said...

Let me preface my thoughts by saying that I started to crochet somewhere around 10 years old.

That Goddess Shawl is frumpy. To be scathingly honest, it looks like the type of project that someone who wants lacework but doesn't want to take the time to use something finer than worsted weight would do.

On another note, I am very happy that Jeff shared what that gorgeous tatted shawl is based off of!

Jeff Hamilton said...

Well, I've tatted enough of those motifs that I should recognize it anywhere.

Glad I could help Shattered. It is a very nice motif to tat, and so versatile, apparently. MK has two motifs called Windmills. This one is from her Tatting With Visual Patterns book. Though, I don't know if many people are aware of the other Windmills motif.