Friday, February 24, 2012

Guiness World Record Update & Supple Knees?

The Palmetto Tatting Guild has posted the results of their Tatting World Record attempt from September 2011:

UPDATE from Tat Days 2011, February 23, 2012: THANK YOU to everyone that participated in our attempt in Septebmer to set a world record of the most folks tatting at one time. We have heard back from Guinness and they said we needed more than 250 tatters to break the record. We had around 120 when counting those at Tat Days and those around the world that joined us. We may try again one day. Again, THANK YOU to ALL that joined us!

And a phrase from the quote at the end of Wanda's blog post, Gifts, piqued my interest.  

"Youth is not a time of life: it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it it a matter of the will, quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life."
~ Samuel Ullman

The poetic quality of "supple knees" is a point to ponder. I freely concede the state of mind, rosy cheeks and red lips. But supple knees? I never had supple knees. (Maybe as a swaddling baby?)

Isn't it funny what we think about as we tat?

I never miss Wanda's lovely posts. They are always clever, honest and never fail to satisfy. Her knack for finding quotes to fit her posts is as remarkable as her tatting.

So for the rest of my tatting time today I will ponder supple knees, will, the quality of imagination, vigorous emotion and the freshness of spring.  Especially "the deep springs of life."

Keep up the great work, Wanda!

5 comments:

Fox said...

Umm... as a runner, I try to keep my mind off the topic of knees - especially as I continue to notice various creakings and such of less than supple body parts. Especially when I tat, I do not like to dwell on these things... : ))
Fox

Margarets designer cards said...

What a pity the record was not made,

Yes I love wandas words she always puts things so lovely, I am sat here thinking are my knees supple, now not really.
Margaret

tattrldy said...

Thanks! I think I spend at least as much time trying to find the right quote as I do on the rest of a post!

I don't think I ever had supple knees, either, but I've been thinking of them a lot more lately - they keep talking to me "creak" "groan" "pop!". I do wish they were quiet like they were when I was younger :)

Jeff Hamilton said...

Out of curiosity, did anyone know that they needed more than 250 tatters to break the record? I must have missed this.

Kathy Niklewicz said...

Having had the opportunity to actually meet Wanda back in Oct. of 2010, I can attest to her high energy level, enthusiasm, and many interests - not to mention her incredible tatting! Her blog posts are always great to read!

The World Record 'rules' are interesting. Now that we have a number to shoot for, it seems possible to reach it.