Sunday, April 7, 2013

Motif #20 & Signs of Spring

Yesterday's lace guild meeting was held at Barrel Oak Winery in Delaplane, Va. The winery was bustling with activity: birthdays, anniversaries, social gatherings inside the tasting room and on the lawn...it was a wonderful place to be.

Guildies Joy, Barbara and Anita sipping wine and
noshing picnic-style before making lace.
Guildies Anita and Sherry, who was celebrating her birthday!


We enjoyed a plentiful picnic-style feast and some superb Bowhaus White wine along with our lace making.




The morning started out brisk and bright, but warmed to springtime perfection.




Motif #20 Farfalla (a.k.a. Norma Jean) Butterfly
While waiting for the tasting room to open, I finished the Farfalla butterfly. Doesn't she look darling in the spring sunshine?  (And this is straight off the shuttles, before her "beauty treatment" -- steam blocking to set the stitches and thread-end trimming.)

Even though her name is Farfalla, I think I shall call her Norma Jean, because of her delicate grace and striking beauty. A Marilyn Monroe waiting to be discovered, wouldn't you say?

Farfalla Butterfly
You can find the free pattern on the Italian tatting web site:  CHIACCHIERINO  The butterfly diagram can be found on this page: Gioielli di chiacchierino

For those who are interested, the thread list:
  • Lizbeth®20 #613 Golden Yellow Medium
  • A blend of lavender/black/yellow threads for antennae
  • Lizbeth®20 #139 Fruit Fizz for round 2 chains
  • Lizbeth®20 #624 Raspberry Pink Medium for round 2 rings.

Norma Jean is so pretty I will tat her again in some pretty hand-dyed thread.  Now, to choose....

But wait!  I cannot forget to show you some of the lace we worked on at the winery.

Barbara's Salamander

Sherry's Torchon ground

Anita's tatted doily


Great stuff!  I am sorry to say I didn't get a photo of Joy's lace or my own penguin project, but these photos give you an idea of what fun we had on our winery outing. 

9 comments:

Marilee Rockley said...

Looks like lots of fun! The butterfly is gorgeous!

Sally Kerson said...

I just can't think of a better place to have a meeting, a winery! Its a wonder you achieved anything.
I've made that butterfuly and its on my blog somewhere and it is a really lovely pattern, but do like your name for it Norma Jean! Was that before or after the wine?!!

Margarets designer cards said...

Looks like you had fun, beautiful butterfly, I got a copy of the pattern it's here waiting for me to play.
Margaret

Michelle said...

Your Norma Jean is gorgeous! Your exemplar makes me want to give it a try!

Jane McLellan said...

Wonderful to be able to meet like that. I like the butterfly, thanks for the link.

God's Kid said...

Your butterfly is a work of art!! So gorgeous!!! :)

tattrldy said...

What a neat place to have your meeting! It looks like you were all enjoying yourselves. The butterfly looks right at home in the beautiful outdoors, blocking or no blocking. Thanks for sharing part of your day with us.

IsDihara said...

Wanda, I stuck Norma Jean on the bush and was charmed by how the light fell on her.

Hope you enjoy "Stormageddon" (or Alfie) butterfly #2 as much as Norma Jean. :-D

Claire said...

I am sad that the Farfalla butterfly pattern links are not working anymore. I would have love to give it a try. It's beautiful with the colours you used.

Claire
OClaireDeLune.wordpress.com